Named in honor of Ben Brewer, FAIA, for distinguished service to the profession and his significant influence on young professionals. This award recognizes excellence in ability, exceptional work, and significant contributions in the practice of architecture by architects who are in their first 10 years of practice.*
The Award will be given for exceptional work and general excellence in the practice of architecture. The jury will consider contributions to team activities as well as individual efforts in its evaluative process. The Award is intended to recognize accomplishment rather than promise alone.
The range of activities for which an individual may be considered includes, but is not limited to: design, education, service to the profession, public service, historic preservation, research, urban design, government, industry, or architectural practice.
Nominations may be made by any AIA Houston member or firm. Nominees must be members of AIA Houston and may be in practice alone or in association with others.
*Previously, only architects who had been licensed for fewer than 10 years were eligible. Now, the award is open to individuals who have been licensed for fewer than 120 months, and the months need not be consecutive. This adjustment reflects a recognition that many in our profession take time away from practice during the initial stage of their career for differing reasons, including to bear and raise children. The change allows AIAH to recognize individuals who may be more than 10 years out of architecture school, but who have been in practice for fewer than 10 years.
Call for nominations are due on or before March 29, 2024
A nomination consists of:
- A brief biography of the nominee including the date of licensure, no more than three typewritten pages.
- A listing and description of the nominee’s accomplishments, no more than three typewritten pages.
- Letters of recommendation from at least three (3) individuals who are familiar with the nominee in the particular capacity for which the Award is recommended. These letters should state why this candidate should be considered for the Award and refer to his/her accomplishments. Letters from clients, consultants, and civic leaders are encouraged.
- A portfolio containing detailed documentation of representative work in which the candidate was involved. The jury will consider contributions to team activities. Documentation should consist of written materials, photographic prints, reproduction of drawings and/or any other items that will aid jurors in evaluating the candidate’s accomplishments. No models or slides will be accepted.
The winner will receive a travel stipend from the Architecture Center Houston Foundation and will be honored at the annual Celebrate Architecture Gala on MAY 18, 2024
Submission Deadline - MARCH 29, 2024 5:00PM
The AIA Houston Firm Award is given annually to a Houston architecture firm that has consistently produced distinguished architecture for a period of at least ten years.
A firm may nominate itself.
Please note: This award will be presented at the Celebrate Architecture Gala on May 18, 2024.
Firms submitting for this award are expected to purchase a table at the Gala to be considered.
Nominations are due on or before MARCH 29, 2024, and must consist of:
- A brief narrative including firm history, biographical information about the principals, contributions to the profession, and contributions to the Houston community, design awards, or other recognition
- Firm brochure(s) if available
- Annotated PowerPoint or PDF presentation of major architectural projects
Nominations for Home Tour Jurors will close at 5:00 pm on Monday, April 1st
If you have any questions, please email Ellen